- Written by Matt Parish
- Published: 26 June 2013
Johnny Smith, acclaimed jazz guitarist and MI retailer, passed away on June 12, 2013, less than a month before his 91st birthday.
In 1958, Smith opened The Johnny Smith Music store located in Colorado Springs, Colorado. In addition to selling instruments, Smith also taught guitar at the store. During this same time, he recorded the top ten records of his career and appeared on several TV shows and in concert around the world. Smith forged close relationships with many suppliers in the industry, most notably the Fender Musical Instrument Company.
You may enjoy...
- Mary Luehrsen - 2015 Don Johnson Industry Service Award Winner
- Eight New NAMM Board Members Elected
- Chauvet DJ Takes Home Two DCAs
- AES Announces that Avid’s Hernandez, Jr. Will be Keynote Speaker at 57th Intl. Conferene
- Ashly Audio Appoints Leslie Executive VP
- HARMAN Acquires SM Pro Audio
- Roland Announces Two Major New Appointments
- TRUSST To Show Trussing Products At 2015 NAMM