After 71 years, Dowling Music, a comprehensive sheet music store in Houston, Texas, is closing at the end of this week.
Houston-born concert pianist Richard Dowling purchased the operation in 2008 with his partner, James Li. The couple opened an additional Dowling Music store in NYC’s Steinway Hall that closed in April, 2012.
The pair lost their investment in the NYC store after JDS Development bought Steinway Hall to convert it into a hotel.
"The sale of Steinway Hall to JDS Development is part of the reason why we're going out of business," Dowling told The Houston Chronicle. "Because Jim and I lost half of our income, we saw that it was time for us to move on."
You may enjoy...
- DJ Oliver Heldens Named Brand Ambassador and Product Consultant at Denon DJ
- Chauvet Celebrates New Facility In Mexico
- NAMM Musikmesse Russia and Prolight + Sound NAMM Russia Return in September
- Momentum Audio Sales Named U.S. Distributor of Ehrlund
- Shure Named One of 2016’s ‘Best and Brightest Companies to Work For’
- Heid Music’s ‘The Big 10+ Contest’ Aims to Put More Than $30,000 into School Music Programs in March
- Musikmesse 2017: Business Academy Inspired by SOMM
- NAfME and 50 Federated Associations Ask for Maximum Title IV, Part A Funding