- Written by Christian Wissmuller
- Published: 28 January 2014
After 71 years, Dowling Music, a comprehensive sheet music store in Houston, Texas, is closing at the end of this week.
Houston-born concert pianist Richard Dowling purchased the operation in 2008 with his partner, James Li. The couple opened an additional Dowling Music store in NYC’s Steinway Hall that closed in April, 2012.
The pair lost their investment in the NYC store after JDS Development bought Steinway Hall to convert it into a hotel.
"The sale of Steinway Hall to JDS Development is part of the reason why we're going out of business," Dowling told The Houston Chronicle. "Because Jim and I lost half of our income, we saw that it was time for us to move on."
You may enjoy...
- ADJ Open House Events Announced
- NUVO opens U.S. Sales and Distribution Center
- KMC Music is Now Exclusive U.S. Distributor of Rhythm Tech
- Canada’s Prime Minister Visits Riversong Guitars
- Keys to Profit in 2015: Technological Innovations and Accessible Price Points Drive the Digital Keyboard Market
- A Welcome Counterpoint
- Tom Bedell Speaks Out About Conservation and Forestry Issues
- Trent Reznor and the Last Days of An Iconic Synthesizer