After 71 years, Dowling Music, a comprehensive sheet music store in Houston, Texas, is closing at the end of this week.
Houston-born concert pianist Richard Dowling purchased the operation in 2008 with his partner, James Li. The couple opened an additional Dowling Music store in NYC’s Steinway Hall that closed in April, 2012.
The pair lost their investment in the NYC store after JDS Development bought Steinway Hall to convert it into a hotel.
"The sale of Steinway Hall to JDS Development is part of the reason why we're going out of business," Dowling told The Houston Chronicle. "Because Jim and I lost half of our income, we saw that it was time for us to move on."
You may enjoy...
- FingerWeights Global Introduces Training Product at NAMM
- Partnership Between BOSS and Strandberg Announced
- LPD Music International Appointed Sole Distribution of Maton Guitars in the U.S.A.
- FMIC's Norvell at 'pre-NAMM' Get-Together
- Yorkville's Tim Marshall with MMR's Matt King
- Roland Names Alli VP of Artist Relations and Business Development
- Alvarez Appoints SFM as New Canadian Distributor
- QSC and Shure Offer Integration