After 71 years, Dowling Music, a comprehensive sheet music store in Houston, Texas, is closing at the end of this week.
Houston-born concert pianist Richard Dowling purchased the operation in 2008 with his partner, James Li. The couple opened an additional Dowling Music store in NYC’s Steinway Hall that closed in April, 2012.
The pair lost their investment in the NYC store after JDS Development bought Steinway Hall to convert it into a hotel.
"The sale of Steinway Hall to JDS Development is part of the reason why we're going out of business," Dowling told The Houston Chronicle. "Because Jim and I lost half of our income, we saw that it was time for us to move on."
You may enjoy...
- Museum of Making Music’s Annual Play It Forward Gala
- Zildjian New Gen16 Access Tool
- D’Addario Woodwinds Rebrand Rico and Royal Product Lines
- Documentary Series Ernie Ball: The Pursuit of Tone New Episodes and Industry Buzz
- Chauvet DJ Freedom Par Quad-5 Stars In Ride Along 2
- RPMDA Board Plans 2017 Convention
- NAMM Musikmesse Russia and Prolight+Sound NAMM Russia Announce Music-Filled Forums, Professional Development, and Business Events
- Roland Electronic Percussion Patents Allegedly Infringed by Alesis