- Written by Christian Wissmuller
- Published: 28 January 2014
After 71 years, Dowling Music, a comprehensive sheet music store in Houston, Texas, is closing at the end of this week.
Houston-born concert pianist Richard Dowling purchased the operation in 2008 with his partner, James Li. The couple opened an additional Dowling Music store in NYC’s Steinway Hall that closed in April, 2012.
The pair lost their investment in the NYC store after JDS Development bought Steinway Hall to convert it into a hotel.
"The sale of Steinway Hall to JDS Development is part of the reason why we're going out of business," Dowling told The Houston Chronicle. "Because Jim and I lost half of our income, we saw that it was time for us to move on."
You may enjoy...
- Studio One and Megadeth's David Ellefson
- SKB Announces New Canadian Partnership
- Hurley and Fender Present ‘Strat: 60 Years of the Stratocaster’
- Zildjian Sponsors 10th Year of Berklee Artist-in-Residence Program with Aaron Spears
- Kidzrock Fills Education Gap
- JAM Industries Buys Davitt & Hanser (D&H) Distribution from Hanser Music Group
- New Website for Dave Smith Instruments
- Registration Open for The 2015 NAMM Show