- Written by Christian Wissmuller
- Published: 28 January 2014
After 71 years, Dowling Music, a comprehensive sheet music store in Houston, Texas, is closing at the end of this week.
Houston-born concert pianist Richard Dowling purchased the operation in 2008 with his partner, James Li. The couple opened an additional Dowling Music store in NYC’s Steinway Hall that closed in April, 2012.
The pair lost their investment in the NYC store after JDS Development bought Steinway Hall to convert it into a hotel.
"The sale of Steinway Hall to JDS Development is part of the reason why we're going out of business," Dowling told The Houston Chronicle. "Because Jim and I lost half of our income, we saw that it was time for us to move on."
You may enjoy...
- Paul McCartney Adopts Avid Everywhere for Historic “Out There” Tour
- Hal Leonard to Distribute Apogee Pro Audio Interfaces
- Little Kids Rock to Honor Joan Jett at Annual Benefit
- Zildjian Sponsors 10th Year of Berklee Artist-in-Residence Program with Aaron Spears
- Waller Leaves Orange Amplification
- Hal Leonard Hosts John Williams
- New Website for Dave Smith Instruments
- NAMM TEC Awards Celebrates 30 Years and Inducts Nathan East & Ed Cherney into Hall of Fame