- Written by Christian Wissmuller
- Published: 28 January 2014
After 71 years, Dowling Music, a comprehensive sheet music store in Houston, Texas, is closing at the end of this week.
Houston-born concert pianist Richard Dowling purchased the operation in 2008 with his partner, James Li. The couple opened an additional Dowling Music store in NYC’s Steinway Hall that closed in April, 2012.
The pair lost their investment in the NYC store after JDS Development bought Steinway Hall to convert it into a hotel.
"The sale of Steinway Hall to JDS Development is part of the reason why we're going out of business," Dowling told The Houston Chronicle. "Because Jim and I lost half of our income, we saw that it was time for us to move on."
You may enjoy...
- Join NAMM’s Music Education Advocacy Efforts on Capitol Hill
- World-record Attempt at Musikmesse 2015: 1,000 Drummers Wanted
- Ashly Audio Appoints Sound Directions as Exclusive UK Distributor
- Brent Fitz now using Vater Drumsticks
- Casio Donates Keyboards to Notes for Notes
- NAMM Foundation Invests in Music Education for Underserved Students
- Evans Getting Some Serious On-Screen Love in 'Whiplash'
- Yamaha Appoints Marr Pro Audio & Combo National Account Manager