- Written by Christian Wissmuller
- Published: 08 December 2013
Guitars in the Classroom announced that Kala Brand Music Company has donated more than 1,200 ukuleles to its PK-8 classroom programs in Massachusetts, Michigan, South Carolina, Virginia, and California.
Teachers who complete the beginning level of training with GITC are eligible to apply for ukuleles for their students to play during regular academic lessons. Students write original songs using the ukes in order to aid in learning lessons in math, science, social studies, language arts and more. Classrooms typically receive a set of six instruments so that children can take turns being in their classroom string band. Many schools decide to purchase a full set of ukuleles once the benefits to the students become obvious.
“The addition of ukulele to our work super-charges students' academic learning, fueling their passion for making and sharing music, and boosting their self confidence,” said Jessica Baron, executive Director, Guitars in the Classroom. “Ukes offer these students an irresistible experience on par with cuddling a puppy, making new musical friends and experiencing authentic self- expression - all at once. We are beyond grateful to Kala for making this possible.”
“Kala is excited to be leading the way in enabling music literacy as a tool for all learning, said Rick Carlson, Kala Brand Music Company. “Teachers now have the ability to impart multiple skills with ukulele in the educational arena, and we are proud that it is having a profound impact on students. Kala looks forward to continuing this partnership with Guitars in the Classroom in 2014.”
You may enjoy...
- Summer NAMM Empowers Industry with 35 Educational Sessions
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee Receives $5 Million Gift from Keith Mardak and Mary Vandenberg
- Audio-Technica Supports Nashville Engineer Relief Fund
- Neutrik USA Appoints Cordova Regional Manager
- Zildjian Present Dealer Award to Dale's Drum Shop; Present Cymbal to Sam Ash Music
- Boulder Creek Announces New Line of Remington Series Guitars
- Roland Seeks SW District Sales Manager
- Under the Stage with Wicked’s Chris Jago